- Talks and Events
- Other things I like
- Contact me
Hello, my name is Francesco (Frank) Pira, I’m 29yo and live in Catania, Italy, where I part-time study Computer Engineering and work as developer. I often describe myself as a curious mind striving for more.
My interests are programming (especially web development), technology, big data, business and start-ups. I like working in team on projects that challenge me and I’m fascinated by finding the best practice in doing something. I also like advising and motivating on topics I’m skilled. Recently I’ve found out writing is one of my growing passions.
I’ve studied Mathematics and Physics in High School, taught myself English and how to code. I’ve also worked as a self-employed computer technician and in a small team I founded as web developer.
In 2013 I joined EESTEC, a European network of engineering students where members can improve technical and soft skills. The next year I became president of the local committee and coordinator of the International IT team. In 2015, with a colleague at university, I started a company, Fileshute.
I have been involved in the local startup scene as start-upper and as VP of Youth Hub Catania, a no-profit association focused on enabling and supporting young entrepreneurship, matching people’s skills and organising startup related events (like #AppIdee and Startup Weekends).
I usually work in zsh, vim and VSCode, I think GUIs are largely overrated. If you’re curious about my setup, feel free to check my dotfiles and toolbelt.
- Cloud-native: Kubernetes (including AKS and OKD), Apache Kafka and Strimzi
- Front-end dev: Vue.js, CSS, SCSS. Some experience in Angular
- Back-end dev: node.js, SpringBoot, Java EE, Flask. In the past: Ruby on Rails
- J2EE Application servers: Oracle WebLogic, IBM WebSphere, Tomcat
- Databases: MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle DB 9 and 12c, SQLite, CouchDB, MySQL/MariaDB
- CI/CD: Azure DevOps, GitHub Actions, Jenkins
- System Administration: Bash scripting, nginx configuration, server deployment, configuration and hardening (sshd hardening, Iptables, firewalld, OpenVPN, etc.)
- VCS Git (including platforms for Agile project management like Azure DevOps and GitHub), SVN
- Operating Systems: Debian Linux-based, CentOS 6+, macOS 10.6+, Windows XP+, iOS and Android
- SOA products: Oracle Fusion Middleware 12c (including JDeveloper), Oracle Service Bus 12c, Oracle WebLogic
- Cloud platforms: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Hetzner, Linode, Aruba Cloud, Scaleway
- Other tools: Docker, XSLT, XQuery, Let’s Encrypt, GrSecurity, Webpack, Babel
- Static-site generators and CMS: Jekyll. In the past: Wordpress and Prestashop
- Other technical skills: Fundamentals of computer security and cryptography
- Graphical tools: Photoshop (mostly for front-end assets), Sketch by Bohemian Coding, paint.net
- Soft Skills: Problem Solving, Team Working, Project Management and Tracking, Team Leadership, Social Networking, Event Organisation
- Advance my network and computer security skills
- Machine learning and MLOps
Last updated on:
This information was automatically retrieved by your browser while loading this page.
Usually I write little pieces of code to speed up my work and when I have some spare time I dedicate myself to weekend projects.
Talks and Events
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional (November 2022)
- Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional (April 2022)
- AZ-400 - Microsoft Azure DevOps Engineer Expert (December 2021)
- AZ-204 - Microsoft Azure Developer Associate (December 2021)
- Oracle Certified Professional - Java SE 11 Developer (April 2021)
- AWS Certified Developer - Associate (September 2020)
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner (September 2020)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate (June 2020)
- AZ-900 - Microsoft Azure Fundamentals (July 2019)
- DASA DevOps Fundamentals (May 2019)
Badges are also available on Credly.
- AngularJS Certificate by Bax Energy (October 2016)
- Certificate of Appreciation for coordinating IT Team in EESTEC, 2015-2016
- Certificate of Appreciation for coordinating IT Team in EESTEC, 2015
- EYE - Enabling Youth Entrepreneurship Support Group Project - Recommendation letter (August 2015)
- EESTEC Contact Person training certificate (October 2014)
- Summer Entrepreneurship Training - Certificate of Appreciation (August 2014)
- Italian, native proficiency
- English, CEFR Level C1 (test results)
- Spanish, elementary proficiency
Other things I like
Meeting people A good chat is a good moment and with people I haven’t met it’s even better. Valuable things happen when people share their experiences and thoughts.
Reading This is a pleasure I don’t want to miss. I read about programming, best practice, new technologies, startup stories and anything that can improve myself. Sometimes I find myself reading thrillers.
Jiu jitsu and running I have to admit, I’ve fallen in love with jiu jitsu and the Japanese culture. There’s so much to learn from them! Days I don’t have gym lessons, I go running at sunset. It’s my reset button.
DIY Something my father taught me. It’s fun to tinker away from keyboard, too.
Traveling Visiting new places and discovering new cultures widens your mind and challenges you. When I have the chance to leave, I always do.
Plus, every now and then I find quotes and media that inspire me. They are listed below.
Thanks for reading this page. I look forward to hearing from you.