- Talks and Events
- Honours and certificates
- Other things I like
- Contact me
- Follow me
Hello, my name is Francesco (Frank) Pira, I’m 26yo and live in Catania, Italy, where I part-time study Computer Engineering and work as developer. I often describe myself as a curious mind striving for more.
My interests are programming (especially web development), technology, big data, business and start-ups. I like working in team on projects that challenge me and I’m fascinated by finding the best practice in doing something. I also like advising and motivating on topics I’m skilled. Recently I’ve found out writing is one of my growing passions.
I’ve studied Mathematics and Physics in High School, taught myself English and how to code. I’ve also worked as a self-employed computer technician and in a small team I founded as web developer.
In 2013 I joined EESTEC, a European network of engineering students where members can improve technical and soft skills. The next year I became president of the local committee and coordinator of the International IT team. In 2015, with a colleague at university, I started a company, Fileshute.
I have been involved in the local startup scene as start-upper and as VP of Youth Hub Catania, a no-profit association focused on enabling and supporting young entrepreneurship, matching people’s skills and organising startup related events (like #AppIdee and Startup Weekends).
Today I work as back-end developer at Leonardo Company. There are many projects I’m involved in, mainly Java ones running in Docker or IBM WebSphere, while others built on Oracle Middleware platform.
I’m tuned to Apple security news and I think GUIs are largely overrated. My daily carry is an iPad moshed to zsh and nvim. If you’re curious about my setup, feel free to check my dotfiles repo and toolbelt page.
- Front-end dev: Vue.js, CSS, SCSS. Some experience in AngularJS and Angular 6
- Back-end dev: Java EE, Flask, node.js and ExpressJS, ElectronJS. In the past: Ruby on Rails
- Application servers: Oracle WebLogic, IBM WebSphere, Tomcat
- Databases: Oracle DB, PostgreSQL, mongoDB, SQLite, CouchDB, MySQL/MariaDB
- SysAdmin: Bash scripting, nginx configuration, server deployment, configuration and hardening (SSH config, Iptables, firewalld, OpenVPN, etc.)
- VCS Git (including platforms for Agile integration like Azure DevOps and GitHub), SVN
- Operating Systems: Debian Linux-based, CentOS 6+, macOS 10.6+, Windows XP+, iOS and Android
- SOA products: Oracle Fusion Middleware 12c (including JDeveloper), Oracle Service Bus 12c, Oracle WebLogic
- Cloud platforms: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Hetzner, Linode, Aruba Cloud, Scaleway
- Other tools: Docker, XSLT, XQuery, Let’s Encrypt, GrSecurity, Webpack, Babel
- Static-site generators and CMS: Jekyll. In the past: Wordpress and Prestashop
- Other technical skills: Fundamentals of computer security and cryptography
- Graphical tools: Photoshop (mostly for front-end assets), Sketch by Bohemian Coding, paint.net
- Soft Skills: Problem Solving, Team Working, Project Management and Tracking, Team Leadership, Social Networking, Event Organisation
- Advance my network and computer security skills
- Begin Swift and iOS app development
- Machine learning and Python for data analysis
Usually I write little pieces of code to speed up my work and when I have some spare time I dedicate myself to weekend projects.
Talks and Events
Honours and Certificates
- AZ-900 - Microsoft Azure Fundamentals, 2019
- AngularJS Certificate by Bax Energy
- Certificate of Appreciation for coordinating IT Team in EESTEC, 2015-2016
- Certificate of Appreciation for coordinating IT Team in EESTEC, 2015
- EYE - Enabling Youth Entrepreneurship Support Group Project - Recommendation letter
- EESTEC Contact Person training certificate
- Summer Entrepreneurship Training - Certificate of Appreciation
Other things I like
Meeting people A good chat is a good moment and with people I haven’t met it’s even better. Valuable things happen when people share their experiences and thoughts.
Reading This is a pleasure I don’t want to miss. I read about programming, best practice, new technologies, startup stories and anything that can improve myself. Sometimes I find myself reading thrillers.
Jiu jitsu and running I have to admit, I’ve fallen in love with jiu jitsu and the Japanese culture. There’s so much to learn from them! Days I don’t have gym lessons, I go running at sunset. It’s my reset button.
DIY Something my father taught me. It’s fun to tinker away from keyboard, too.
Traveling Visiting new places and discovering new cultures widens your mind and challenges you. When I have the chance to leave, I always do.
Plus, every now and then I find quotes and media that inspire me. They are listed below.
The best way is by sending an email to: me@thisdomain.
I am also available to chat via:
For a secure communication, please send me an email to the above address using PGP.
You can retrieve the public key from:
00F1 7C2C 8570 B082 2DF0 2CC6 DC80 5C4B D79E C530.
This key superseded my old one.
You can also verify my identity on Keybase.
Please notify me ahead via any of the channels above if you want to go with PGP.
On the world wild web I'm usually pirafrank. Here's a full list of my social profiles.
Thanks for reading this page. I look forward to hearing from you.