- My toolbelt
- Events and contributions
- Honors and certificates
- Other things I like
- Contact me
Hello, my name is Francesco (Frank) Pira, I’m 23yo and live in Catania, Italy, where I study Computer Engineering and work as developer. I often describe myself as a curious mind striving for more.
My interests are programming (especially web development), technology, big data, business and start-ups. I like working in team on projects that challenge me and I’m fascinated by finding the best practice in doing something. I also like advising and motivating on topics I’m skilled. Recently I’ve found out writing is one of my growing passions.
I’ve studied Mathematics and Physics in High School, taught myself English and how to code. I’ve also worked as a self-employed computer technician and in a small team I founded as web developer.
In 2013 I joined EESTEC, a European network of engineering students where members can improve technical and soft skills. The next year I became president of the local committee and coordinator of the International IT team. In 2015, with a colleague at university, I started a company, Fileshute.
I am currently involved in the local startup scene as start-upper and as VP of Youth Hub Catania, a no-profit association focused on enabling and supporting young entrepreneurship, matching people’s skills and organising startup related events (like #AppIdee and Startup Weekends).
- Back-end dev: Flask, node.js, Express, Electron, Ruby on Rails (beginner)
- Web servers: nginx, Puma, Apache
- Databases: PostgreSQL, SQLite, CouchDB, MySQL / MariaDB
- System Administration: Server deployment, configuration and hardening (SSH, OpenVPN, etc.)
- Tools: Git, Gulp, Bower, Let’s Encrypt, GrSecurity
- Platforms: Amazon Web Services, Heroku, Debian Linux, CentOS, OS X
- CMS and static generators: Prestashop, Wordpress, Jekyll
- Other technical skills: Computer security, encryption and server hardware knowledge
- Graphical tools: Photoshop (mostly for front-end assets), Sketch by Bohemian Coding
- Soft Skills: Project Management, Team Management, Team Working, Social Networking, Event Organisation
- Golang and Xamarin (mostly cross-platform mobile app development with shared core)
- Machine learning and some Python applications of it
- Advance my network security skills
Curious about tools and utilities I use? The answer you’re looking for is here.
Events and contributions
A comprehensive list is available in the event page.
Honors and certificates
- AngularJS Certificate by Bax Energy
- Certificate of Appreciation for coordinating IT Team in EESTEC, 2015-2016
- Certificate of Appreciation for coordinating IT Team in EESTEC, 2015
- EYE - Enabling Youth Entrepreneurship Support Group Project - Recommendation letter
- EESTEC Contact Person training certificate
- Summer Entrepreneuship Training - Certificate of Appreciation
Other things I like
Meeting people A good chat is a good moment and with people I haven’t met it’s even better. Valuable things happen when people share their experiences and thoughts.
Reading This is a pleasure I don’t want to miss. I read about programming, best practice, new technologies, startup stories and anything that can improve myself. Sometimes I find myself reading thrillers.
Jiu jitsu and running I have to admit, I’ve fallen in love with jiu jitsu and the Japanese culture. There’s so much to learn from them! Days I don’t have gym lessons, I go running at sunset. It’s my reset button.
DIY Something my father taught me. It’s fun to tinker away from keyboard, too.
Traveling Visiting new places and discovering new cultures widens your mind and challenges you. When I have the chance to leave, I always do.
Looks interesting? Want to know more? Feel free to get in touch with me.